Location

EuropeNovi Sad is considered one of the most beautiful cities on the Danube. For centuries its streets, boulevards and squares have been carefully designed to be in harmony with its rich natural surroundings. The larger part of the city is situated on the left bank of the Danube, placed on the edge of the vast plane of Bačka, which is woven of fields, pastures and farms. On the other side of the river is the wooded countryside of Fruška Gora with numerous monasteries and vineyards. Its steep rocky slope, which lies on bank of the Danube, dominates the city. It was on this location that in the 18th century, the Petrovaradin Fortress, one of the largest military fortifications in Europe, was built. This Fortress used to be the Gibraltar of the Danube, but today it maintains itself as a settlement of artists and a favorite promenade for the citizens of Novi Sad. Tall roofs of baroque houses and the authentic silhouettes of Novi Sad's towers can be seen from the balconies of the Fortress. Novi Sad – a city of baroque. Eternal inspiration. Famous Yugoslav writer and winner of the Nobel Prize, Ivo Andrić, once said: “I love to come to Novi Sad. Look at these roofs. This is Europe!”

Novi Sad is known for its rich cultural tradition. It is documented that Emanuel Janković opened the first printing-house in 1790, followed by a bookstore, which met all European standards. This was just the beginning of a productive publishing business in Novi Sad. In 1810, the Serbian Orthodox Great Grammar School was founded in Novi Sad. One of its professors, Georgije Magarašević, in 1824, initiated the journal entitled, “Serbian Annuary” which is still being published today, under the title of “The Matica Srpska Annuary”. Some scholars claim that this is the oldest active journal of literature in the world. In 1861, the Serbian National Theater was founded. Today it is the oldest professional theatre in Yugoslavia. novi-sad-panoramaThe Matica Srpska – the famous institution for education, culture and academics, founded in Budapest in 1826 – has been seated in Novi Sad since 1864. For all these reasons, Novi Sad has been widely known as the Serbian Athens. At the same time, it is the center and crossroad of different cultures and a symbol of the harmonious coexistence of many nations.

By carefully treasuring the harmony of nature and the culture of living, tradition and modern visions, Novi Sad has developed into a city with over 300,000 inhabitants. Today it is the largest city in Vojvodina and its administrative, business, health, and educational center. This is the place where the Faculty of Law was founded, forty-five years ago, followed by the establishment of the Novi Sad University five years later. Certainly, with good reason...

A PART OF THE UNIVERSITY OF NOVI SAD

The Law Faculty is an integral part of the state University in Novi Sad, along with the Faculty of Philosophy, Faculty of Agriculture, Faculty of Technology, Faculty of Technical Sciences, Faculty of Medicine, Faculty of Mathematics and Natural Sciences, Academy of Arts, Faculty for Sports, Faculty of Economics (in Subotica), Faculty of Construction Engineering (in Subotica), Faculty of Technical Sciences “Mihajlo Pupin” (in Zrenjanin), and Faculty for Faculty Teachers (in Sombor).

The academic community of the University of Novi Sad is governed by the Rector, three Vice-Rectors, and the Scholarly and Academic Council (which is composed of representatives from each of the faculties and the Academy of Arts). Over the previous decades some of the governing positions at the University were held by several professors of the Faculty of Law: Professor Toša Tišma as Rector (1963-1967) and Vice-Rector (1967-1969); Professor Dragoje Žarković, Ph.D. as Vice-Rector (1977-1979); Professor Slavko Carić, Ph.D. as Vice-Rector (1981-1983, 1983-1985) who was also the acting Rector during the year 2000; Professor Ljubomirka Krkljuš, Ph.D as Vice-Rector (1996-1998). In 2001, Fuada Stanković, Ph.D., a full professor of the Novi Sad Faculty of Law, was appointed Rector of the University.

The university community ensures the protection of mutual and collective interests of its members.

The University provides accommodation for young teachers and assistants of all faculties in specially designated facilities, like the premises of the old Assistant House, and the recently completed Apart-Hotel, with 80 modern apartments.

The University has at its disposal a special facility for domestic and foreign guests. This building is situated on the bank of the river Danube, in the vicinity of the walkway and the city beach.

asistentskiUniversity also provides accommodation, catering and health services for its students. The Student Center with over 250 employees is in charge of providing these services. The accommodation includes seven housing facilities with 2650 beds. Three restaurants and six cafeterias render catering services for 6500 students on a daily basis. Health services are provided by the Institute for Students Health Protection.

The Center for International Cooperation and Studies has been set up within the University structure in order to establish contact with foreign educational, scientific and research institutions and organizations, to organize exchange programs for professors, assistants and students, to organize international forums, international studies, summer courses, seminars, etc. These intentions are strengthened and boosted by the fact that the University is an active member of numerous international organizations and associations, such as: International Association of Universities (IAU); Association of European Universities (AEU); Black Sea University Network (BSUN); Rectors Conference in Europe (CRE); Association of Universities of the Balkan Region (AIMOS) etc. In addition to all of this, the University of Novi Sad has developed bilateral cooperation with 50 universities from all over the world.

The University also contains the Center for Interdisciplinary and Multidisciplinary Studies and Research for the Development of Economy (CIMSI). The Center has been organizing specializations, masters and doctoral programs, as well as research in areas which require the participation of professors and assistants from different faculties.

The Publishing Center at the University publishes textbooks, manuals and monographs of professors and assistants from all faculties. The “University textbook” edition comprises more than 130 titles, while the “University book of science” edition has more than ten titles.

The Academic Computing Network (ARMUNS) was established some ten years ago in order to provide all information services for all members of the University. Through this network professors and assistants establish connections with the world.

Internal communication is quite simple due to the fact that almost all faculties are located in the vicinity of the Rectorate.

Location of the Law Faculty

The Law Faculty is located in the middle of one of the most beautiful university campuses in this part of Europe. The University site was built on the bank of the Danube, right across the Petrovaradin Fortress and very close to the old city center. However, its architecture conforms to the contemporary style of the Liman quarter. The building of the Law Faculty is located on the central university square named after the famous Serbian scholar, Dositej Obradović. This modern building of 7600 square meters has 17 classrooms, one amphitheater with 250 seats, big multimedia clasroom, with 150 seats, small multimedia classroom with 60 seats, 9 department chambers, one conference room, 50 offices for lecturers, a bookstore, 25 offices for administrative staff, a library, two reading rooms (for students and lecturers), a copy machine room, and a great number of other rooms and offices. The faculty has the special elevator for students with disabilities, which was bulit during 2009, with the help of Provincial Secratariat for education. The students have at their disposal three rooms for various extra-curricular activities. The structure of this building fully meets all educational, academic and all other reqirements related to Faculty and regular academic activities.

View Map