Gordana Kovaček Stanić, Ph.D. Full Professor
Born in Novi Sad in 1958. A 1981 graduate of the Novi Sad Faculty of Law, she received her LL.M. degree from the same Law Faculty in 1987 with thesis “Motherhood – An Element of the Family Status”. In 1991 she defended her doctoral dissertation “Enforcement of Parental Rights – Personal Relations” at the Belgrade Faculty of Law. After she had served as a law clerk at the Municipal Court in Novi Sad, she passed the bar exam in 1983.
She was elected for the assistant at Department of Civil Law in 1984, promoted to assistant professor in 1992, to associate professor in 1997, and to full professor in 2002.
Professor Gordana Kovaček Stanić, Ph.D. teaches courses in Family Law and Law of Inheritance both to law students and students of the group for Internal Affairs. She also teaches elective courses in Comparative Family Law at Master studies, as well as Comparative Chld Law at Doctoral studies, used to teach Practical legal education (family law).
In 1982, as a postgraduate student, she attended a course in Private International Law at the Hague Academy of International Law. As a Ph.D. student she spent four months at the University of Uppsala (Sweden) in 1989. She also visited Christ’s College at the Cambridge University (Great Britain) twice (1996, 1997) as a part of the project supported by the British Council. As a fellow of European Coimbra group of faculties she visited University of Bristol Faculty of Law, for her scientific advancement (July 2003). She was on scientific advancement at Freie University in Berlin, Germany, DAAD program (October 2010).
From 2002 until 2004 she served as a Director of the Legal Clinic education programme 2002-2004 which was supported by the ABA/CEELI. She took part in annual conferences of the ABA/CEELI and Balkan Law School Linkage Initiative (Budva, 2001; Skopje 2002), as well as in legal clinic courses (Nix, 2001; Skopje, 2002). In April of 2003 she visited University of Rutgers School of Law (New Jersey, USA) with the Balkan Law School Linkage Initiative programme.
Professor Gordana Kovaček Stanić presented academic papers at national conferences (Novi Sad, Belgrade, Niš) and international conferences (International Family Law Association: in Prague, Czech Republic, 1998; Tossa de Mar, Spain, 2003; Beijing, China, 2004; Salt Lake City, USA, 2005; Chester, UK, 2007; Wienna, Austria, 2008; Tel Aviv, Israel, 2009; Nasau, Bahami; 2011 Lyon, France 2011) and in Medicine and Law Symposiums in Maribor, Slovenia (2006, 2008, 2010, 2012).
She is the president of the Legal – Economical Council in the Secretariat for Science and Technological development of the Autonomous Province of Vojvodina. She is a member of the Social Sciences Board of Matica Srpska. She was a member of the Executive Board of the Novi Sad Faculty of Law (2001-2002), the Evaluation Committee of the Novi Sad University (2002). member of the Novi Sad Board for Pro-Natality Population Policy, member of the Commission for Population Policy of the Autonomous Province of Vojvodina member of the Novi Sad University Senate, Novi Sad Faculty of Law Academic and Scholarly Council. She is a member of the International Society for Family Law and The International Academy for the Study of the Jurisprudence of the Family. She was a member of an expert group for drafting the Family Law of Serbia, adopted in 2005; member of an expert group for drafting of the Gender Equality Act, adopted in 2009. She took part in creating the Program of demographical development of Vojvodina at the Secretariat of AP Vojvodina for demography, family, and social childcare, adopted in 2004. She is a a member of an expert group for drafting the Act on the protection of children of wrongfull international abduction or retention.Area of academic interest: comparative family law, with special reference to parenthood (rights of a child, status of a child – issues of motherhood and fatherhood, parental custodial care, and family law issues regarding medically assisted conception). In the area of marital law, she focuses on the study of forms of partnership unions, property rights within partnership unions, and a unique institution of a “family home”.
Professor Gordana Kovaček Stanić is the author or co-author of several books and over 100 academic writings published in national and foreign journals. She also wrote several encyclopedic entries.
Languages: English (fluent), Russian, Italian, French.
1. Gordana Kovaček Stanić, Legal Aspects of Parenthood, Cemtar za izdavačku delatnodst Pravnog fakulteta u Novom Sadu, Novi Sad, 1994.
2. Gordana Kovaček Stanić, The Right of a Child to Know His/Her Origins, Novi Sad, 1997.
3. Gordana Kovaček Stanić, Comparative Family Law, Novi Sad, 2002.
4. Gordana Kovaček Stanić, Family Law, Novi Sad, 2005.
5. Gordana Kovaček Stanić, Family Law: Partnership, Child and the Guardianship Law, Novi Sad , 2007, 2009.
6. Gordana Kovaček Stanić, Legislation on Human Reproduction with Biomedical Assistance, Novi Sad , 2008.
7. Gordana Kovaček Stanić, On doctoral dissertation of Jovan Hadzic, in the book: Jovan Hadžić - the causes of divorce, according to the teachings of Eastern Orthodox Church of Christ (editor: D.Nikolic), Matica srpska, Novi Sad, 2010.
8. Gordana Kovaček Stanić, Right on Biomedical Assisted Conception as a Human Right, in Memorial to Dejan Janča (editor T. Miščević), Beograd, 2011.
9. Gordana Kovaček Stanić, Child in a Single (Absent) Parent Family: Maintenance and Family Home, in Verschraegen, B., (ed.): Family Finances, Beč, Jan Sramek Verlag, 2009.
10. Gordana Kovaček Stanić, Self-Determination Principle in Family Law: The Serbian Family Act 2005, in Hober, K., (Ed.): Uppsala Yearbook of East European Law 2005, London.
11. Gordana Kovaček Stanić, Self-determination in Parent-Child Relationships in Serbia and Montenegro, in Miquel Martín-Casals, Jordi Ribot Igualada (Ed.): The Role of Self-determination in the Modernisation of Family Law in Europe, Girona, Documenta Universitaria, 2006.
11. Gordana Kovaček Stanić,: Exercise of the Parental Right: the New Serbian Law on Family 2005 in the Light of a Case before Supreme Court of Serbia, in Wardle, L. D., Williams, C. S., (Ed.): Family Law : Balancing Interests and Pursuing Priorities, New York, William S. Hein & Co., Inc. Buffalo, 2007,.
12. Gordana Kovaček Stanić, Child in a Single (Absent) Parent Family: Maintenance and Family Home, in Verschraegen, B., (ed.): Family Finances, Beč, Jan Sramek Verlag, 2009.
13. Gordana Kovaček Stanić, Consequence of Divorce: Contacts Between Child and Parent (and Other Persons), U: Divorce - Causes and consequences, Peking, 2004.
14. Gordana Kovaček Stanić, Same-sex Union: A Comparison of the Various European Legal Concepts, in Colloquium on Marriage "Marriage and quasi-marital relationships in Central and Eastern Europe", Provo, BYA Academy Publishing SAD, 2008, .
15. Gordana Kovaček Stanić,: Multicultural Vojvodina: Influences on the formation and dissolution of marrige, In: Essays in honour of Penelope Agallopoulou, T. II, Atina, Sakkoulas Publishers, 2011.
16. Gordana Kovaček Stanić, Serbia- Family Home, In: Panforti M. D., Valente, C., (Ed.): Rapporti familiari ed esigenze abitative, Modena, Mucchi, 2012.